Sunday, January 21, 2007

Poem: Last night...


Last night I dreamt I was a reggaeton song...

And with every heartbeat was the thump of a drum beat...

It was'nt just any song...but the hottest song.

Mira como mi barrio se mueve...as I exhale rythm.

Last night I dreamt I was a reggaeton song...

A song that takes the old and new...revolutionary thoughts that pay homage to the our raices indigenas...

That scream praises to our raices africanas to those who listen but simply want to be Hispanic...

but pana...spain can't jam like this.

Last night I dreamt I was a reggaeton song...

A song of truth...a song of hope...the youth is speaking...

The connections being made...

you can't change and still be the same.

As I am,
George Torres
The Urban Jibaro

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oye que pasa? Its me *L* juss here searchin the net and i stumbled on your site..i have to tell you your site is hot!

I got your name off la bruja site, anyway like what I see here!

Just to tell you a lil about me, I also am an educated person who is constantly tryin to educate ppl about us; I also am a writer and a social activist..

A few years back, I did a huge presentation to my fellow graduate students about Nuyoricans incl all of our main figures, writers, playwrights, just the fathers/mothers of the movement, the young lords, the music which emerged at the time...and what we are now and where we are going...

Anyway I can not TELL you how much positive feedback I got from my classmates...the gringas morenas hispanas everyone loved it!! I had one woman in my class who is from PR and she had never heard of a lot of the Nuyorican individuals leading the movement. So everyone learn something, and I LOVE that!

I am all for anything that positively represent PR culture, so I wanted to show all of this people the positive contributions we have--and let me tell you people were on fire after learning it! LOL and i included music everything so it was hot--

Anyway my whole point of writing that was to tell you that many people do not know anything about Puertorican culture from PR or from NY--even PRs themselves and that is one of the true downfalls in my opinion

It is for that I truly appreciate with all my heart and soul people like you, La Bruja, etc who keep it real and represent the community, thank you know people really are moved, affected and love what you do.

Cuidate pana que Dios te bendiga
*L*

Urban Jibaro said...

Bueno... *L*


I am truly humbled by your kind words but I would really like for you to shoot me an email as I have a few projects coming up and I may need some people with that fire to collaborate with.

My email is SofritoMediaGroup@gmail.com

As I am,
George Torres
The Urban Jibaro