Saturday, January 19, 2008

The story behind Radio Capicu...



So I got a question yesterday from Marisol Arzuela from Modesto California ( a 5 year reader of Sofrito For Your Soul)...her question was "What inspired you to start Radio Capicu?"

Marisol...thank you so much for your support...so here it is....

Some time last year I decided to open "the book" and see which of my dreams I can make a reality...

note: for those of you who do not know me..."the book" is where I have all kinds of ideas from stories, poems, TV shows, possible movie stories...pretty much anything I conceive...goes in the book.


So I looked at a page in which I conceived a Sofrito For Your Soul podcast....you know...tidbits on Latino history, culture and discussion surrounding the evolution of our culture. I had just bought a new computer that was capable of handling large video and audio editing software...and that's when I started researching ways that I can bring the website to life in audio format. That is when one of my poet friends...Cinnamon mentioned to me that she would be getting interviewed on an Internet blog show...so in support for her, I tune in and that is when it happened. In exploring the "Blog Talk Radio" site, I find out that I can pretty much broadcast a talk radio show live from my home using their platform...and do it for FREE... a quien no le gusta something Free?

Now I just want you to know that my only radio experience is very limited...I did a a radio show at SUNY Old Westbury (WCOW) from 1997-1999 called "La Hora De Sazon" which was mad bootleg because my only audience was whoever was eating in the cafeteria. The format of the show was very limited to Classic Salsa and Merengue (Fania, Gran Combo, Hermanos Rosario...) oh yeah...and I promoted events for Alianza Latina and my frat, Phi Iota Alpha. With this lil porqueria of a show...here I am 10 years later thinking I can launch a show on a global scale with just a PC and a radio shack mic. So I start talking to my personal board of directors...the secret advisers that smack me around when i get ready to do something crazy...and despite what I thought they would say....they said...DO IT!

So here I am at my desk y me dio un mareo...what am I gonna call the show? What will I talk about? How will I fit this kind of commitment into my already hectic schedule? Every question I was asking was some kind of self exploration to find one good reason not to do it...and I could not think of a single reason not to do it. The next morning I woke up with yet another bright idea...why don't I brand the show with the CAPICU name? I mean the poetry show was already 3 months old...already making a heavy mark on the scene and it will allow me to use some of the resources Papo (my partner) and I had established for live show. Papo loves the idea...and next thing you know...I have yet another title to add to my public resume...I just became a Radio Personality.

Now even I know that I cannot do an hour show without some kind of help so I start thinking of all the crazy people I know....and the dynamics of our conversations...and the only dude that I knew that can actually discuss everything from South Park to the liberation of Latin America led by Simon Bolivar was my wing man/best friend/fraternity brother Javier Ramirez known to Capicu audience as simply "The Guy". If you are wondering how he got his nickname...just refer to an old Dave Chappelle movie called Half Baked and peep the dude that crashes on his couch that nobody knows...thats Jav...ever since our college days. It was important to have a show in which we can talk naturally about the things we cover on the show as opposed to having "radio voice" like someone reading a new story from a script.

With a format like this...with two dudes that have no real radio experience puts us in a weird place. On one hand...we are figuring it out, and we are thinking the shows listeners that are there from day 1 know this...and they will not only support us but they will appreciate what can possibly arise from such a crazy venture. On the other hand...we are so focused on the quality of what we are doing that now we have to start learning the technology, listen to other talk radio shows to see what elements we can can incorporate and still retain a unique sense of style...and that is probably the hardest part of this whole endeavor. I specifically did not want to do a Vacilon type show...I wanted to have a show that will incite real thought into issues affecting Latinos and other people of color...and not only talk about problems but begin important dialogue about solutions. Sometimes it's funny...other times it's not but overall it is in my opinion a representation of the balance that we all face in our daily lives.

What was my inspiration?...Reese Hopkins (now with WRKO in Boston)...you see he was part of a show that broadcast in NY called the Star and Bucwild show. Now I got into a difference of opinion with Star, the show's host about the stereotypical nature of his segment entitled Noticias En Espanol. If you are interested in seeing everything that transpired click here (but not now...read this blog first....lol. By the way, Reese is an incredibly intelligent and well spoken African American brother that shatters every stereotype attached to people that came up in during the birth of the Hip Hop culture. His current show in Boston really challenges the status quo in talk radio.

My dialogue with Reese after this happened helped me put things in perspective and shortly after he left the show to pursue his own interests...we began to heavily support each others projects. He actually let me know that I had a clear shot at being different in a game where most shows either consist of raw toilet humor or it is a hip hop oriented show that does not have extend very much beyond music, fashion, celebrity gossip and certain "hot topics in the media". He also told me that it would be very unique to be such a young Latino and hosting a talk show that can actually captivate the 80's babies as well as the current generation of socially conscious urbanites. What Reese does not know (until he reads this is) that conversation helped me explore why I really want this show, Radio Capicu, the first Latino show on Blog Talk Radio to be a success and to inspire a new forum for young people of color to express themselves about our current state in a constructive medium that will actually educate it's listeners.

We are not there yet...but a journey of a million miles begins with one step...and we have actually jumped off the milk crate by the bodega and started walking...and we want you to follow us.

As I am...
The Urban Jibaro
Radio Personality...que bien suena eso ah?

About Radio Capicu

Radio Capicu hosted by Capicu Co-Founder George "Urban Jibaro" Torres and Javier "The Guy" Ramirez promises to keep listeners captivated with the latest in news and information about cultural events and items of interest in the Latino / Urban community nationwide. Segments will include open mic poetry, in depth interviews and discussions with prominent people in our community about issues relevant to the evolution of our culture as well as the preservation of our heritage.

For more information and show times, visit the Radio Capicu page!

No comments: