Monday, February 26, 2007

Solid As A Rock

I wrote this piece on January, 20th, 1998 during my time at SUNY Old Westbury. It is dedicated to one of the most special people I have ever met in my lifetime...Alexandra Mane. Me and Alex ran the new student experience dorm (named after Martin Luther King Jr.) alone during a time when we were understaffed. The challenges we encountered individually and collectively that year inspired many writings...but none as special as this piece. Alex...I still remember many of our talks and our commitments to overcome them...and based on where we both are today...I can honestly say we succeeded.

You are far away but I keep you close to my heart always...
I miss you!

- The Jibaro formally known as Rico



Solid As A Rock

She is
Solid as a rock
She stands proudly
Like a sculptors raw material waiting to be shaped
her destiny has yet to unfold but destined for greatness


She is Solida
Solid as a rock...
She stood strong in the storm of spring 96 alongside 3 of her peers, struggling for excellence as they took womanhood to another level.

Solid as a rock...
Not like the type that gets cast to destroy
The kind that serves as a foundation
One that builds
She stands on a pedestal founded by her strong ancestry
Passed from genertation to generation

Solid as a rock...
Solid as in strength and courage

I know she would let me rest on her shoulders if troublked waters should overcome me
She would not let me drown

She is...
Solid as a rock...
And a monument to her family, friends, heritage and those she chose to bond with in Hermandad.
She has stayed strong although many have tried to chisel her to rubble, so that they can walk over her and celebrate her demise
But there is no chisel strong enough
She stills stands strong

Solida as a rock...
And she is only getting stronger.


George "Urban Jibaro" Torres
© All Rights Reserved
1998-2006Sofrito For Your Soul Media